Sunday, October 27, 2013

Giving to Thieves

Today I read something that really encouraged me. A story of a mother of 4 who showed mercy to a man who had robbed her.

Jessica Eaves of Oklahoma was shopping for her family when she noticed her wallet was gone. She knew who had stolen it, so she approached the man. “You can either give me my wallet and I'll forgive you right now, and I'll even take you to the front and pay for your groceries” she said to him. The other option she gave was to call the police. He gave back the wallet and burst into tears and confessed how desperate he was and that he was sorry.

“I'll never forget tonight. I'm broke, I have kids, I'm embarrassed and I'm sorry". These were the last words the man said to Eaves before he left.

I am absolutely shocked at how this women handled the situation. In a good way. To have the patience and understanding this woman has blows me away. If I knew someone tried to steal my wallet I would have probably freaked out and called the cops. To have the presence of mind and calmness that Jessica Eaves had is amazing.

I hope that reading this can inspire people to show mercy to others. I know that I am going to be looking for ways in my life to do what this woman did. I challenge anyone who reads this to do the same.

Read more here

Comment below with your opinion

1 comment:

Josh S. said...

The story of Jessica Eaves is very inspirational. I am amazed that she would be so insightful and think, "Why would someone steal my wallet in a grocery store?" The man was desperate to bring back food for his family. I hope that I can learn to think like Jessica Eaves did. She showed that people can be perceived as thieves or bad people when they are really not. We all have prejudices and stereotypes when we see people; clearly, Ms. Eaves knew better than to trust the deceptive looks of that man.