Monday, October 14, 2013

If You Dream it, Make it Happen

"If you dream it, make it happen."

Those are the words of 38 year old Maickel Melamed of Venezuela after finishing the Chicago Marathon. Melamed suffers from muscular dystrophy, a muscle disease that distorts muscle tissue and hinders the ability to move.

Melamed was the last runner to finish the marathon, with a time of 16 hours and 46 minutes. 100 people waited for him to finish and cheered him on.

When I read about this man I was in shock. This man has an enormous amount of character and courage to do what he did. His quote shows that he did this to inspire others, not to prove himself. “If you dream it, make it happen”. That is how Melamed wants to help people.



This video shows some of the hardships that people with muscular dystrophy have to go through, but it also shows how people are helping those afflicted with the disease.

Reading about Maickel Melamed and watching that video changed me in two ways. It makes me realize how stupid and petty a lot of my “problems” are. The stuff I complain about is nothing compared to what these people have to go through. They put a smile on and live their lives with the mindset that nothing can get in their way of living. I also am inspired by Melamed’s words to the world. He pushed himself to complete a marathon, with a disease that keeps most people from being able to even walk. He had a dream to run races, and he made it happen through perseverance and determination. That is something I can apply to my life in so many ways.

I challenge you to learn from these people the same ways I have. Put your problems in perspective, and make your dreams a reality.

For the full story on Maickel, click here

Feel free to comment below

No comments: