Sunday, April 20, 2014

Junior Theme Part 2



My topic has not changed since my last post, but my view of it definitely has. I’ve learned a tremendous amount about the American meal as I have researched it. My Why question I will be answering in the paper is “Why does the American meal look the way it does?” To answer this question, I will be diving into 4 different sections.

1. The way we eat
This is referring to how we eat our food. Over the years, this has changed. In my introductory paragraph I reference a statistic about the percentage of meals eaten outside the home. The number grew from 2% in 1900 to %0% in 2010. This plays a large role in our diet.

2. Changes in industry
This section is about how the way food is made is completely different. The amount of GMOs in food is one of the big topics in this section. Food today is much more highly processed than it was just 20 years ago. Industry and technology have completely changed what our food is made of

3. Social changes
As society changes, so does the manner in which we eat. The family plays a big part in deciding how one eats. With the traditional family intact, there are more at home meals with everyone present and more organization. Where the family is scattered, meals are quicker and less important.

4. Public policy
The government makes many policies and laws that affect what we eat in ways that we don’t see. This can range from price floors to school lunches. The government has great influence over our diets.

I am excited to continue my research and begin the writing process of the body paragraphs. I will keep you updated with my progress.

No comments: